If you have a pool you are no doubt familiar with shock. Not the finger in a socket shock, but the “blast all the gross stuff out of the pool” shock!
Adding chlorine to your pool when you open it is just one step towards getting your pool "swim ready." By adding just chlorine, chloramine is created when chlorine molecules hang on to bacteria and other nasty things in your water. Remember our lesson on Chlorine last month? Chloramines are an indicator that you have too much of the “bad” chlorine or the “dead” chlorine in your water.
Do you SMELL chlorine when you are in or around your pool? Well, you are actually NOT smelling the chlorine you buy and add to the pool. You are smelling the oxidized chlorine or the chloramines. Which means there is some bad bacteria building in your pool water and it is time to shock all of it out of the water!
Clearwater's poolife® TurboShock® shock treatment is a powerful treatment with more of the benefits pool owners look for. With 75% minimum available chlorine, poolife® TurboShock® shock treatment works fast to combat algae and bacteria. It dissolves more quickly and completely and keeps pool water sparkling clean and clear with less work. There is no need to predissolve!
Useful Tips for Shocking Your Pool
For best results always ensure pH is correct before shock treating your pool. Or bring in a water sample and let us ClearCare test your water!
Always shock at dusk or night time. The chlorine works better when it’s not being burned off by the sun.
Don’t shock and add alkalinity on the same day or you will have a “green” pool! It will be clear, but it will be green!
Shock should also be added every week to ensure a clean and algae-free pool.
As with all pool chemicals, keep them stored in a cool, dry place away from the sun and heat.
Here's a video for you to watch and learn more about shocking your pool with poolife® TurboShock®